Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Enhancing the "Pre-Made"

Sometimes you just have to reach for something pre-made.  Believe me- I get it.

The other night I was running around trying to accomplish the final items on my holiday "to-do" list.  Hungry and running out of time, I grabbed a few items at the grocery store and was considering dropping into my favourite Thai restaurant for some coconut curry soup.  Instead, on my way past the pre-made fresh dinners, I noticed a coconut curry soup (pre-made) and all the ingredients were vegan.

Earlier that day, I thawed out a frozen solid curry in a plastic Ziploc bag which I had made earlier in the month.  You hear it over and over again ... "cook once, eat twice".  "Cook some extra and freeze a batch for later".  Over and over - and yet, I don't usually listen.

First of all, I am not a big fan of frozen food.

I like to cook things fresh.

But!  I need to just get over it because the payoff can be a lot of extra time.

It was so very convenient to unzip the bag into a saucepan, add some fresh cilantro and parsley to the curry and - VOILA!  DINNER!!  But the key was adding some fresh herbs, some lime zest and some fresh chopped peanuts and almonds for texture.  As long as the basics of the curry were there, the rest was just doctored up!

The same went for the soup.  In less than five minutes and for under 6 bucks, I added some cilantro and lime juice, as well as some leftover tofu from the fridge (also adding some protein).  Dinner out at the Thai restaurant would have run us at least $25.

Here are things you can try to doctor up something pre-made when you are short on time.

"Something Crunchy or Crispy" - Nuts, tortilla chips, pumpkin seeds, even kale chips.  Something crispy with texture can really elevate a dish and increase your enjoyment.

"Something Zippy" - Citrus juices have the ability to elevate dishes.  Lemon and lime juices can add an acidity and balance, making the entire dinner taste better.  Lemon juice also helps add an alkalinity to your blood (even though it is acidic) which can help regulate your digestion and keep you healthy.  Orange juices add a nice acidic sweetness, and works particularly well with things that are green (spinach risotto, broccoli stir-frys, green beans, etc...)  You can also add a splash of vinegars to add some zip.  Again with green items (bok choy, kale, endive) my ultimate favourite is Umeboshi Vinegar.  It is GORGEOUS with greens.  Just a spash, and your taste buds will wonder why you've never treated them to this before.

"Something Colourful".  It is a cliche to say that we eat with our eyes first, but it is true.  Add some red peppers or chilis, some chopped green onion or chives, some cranberries or dried cherries, or even some mandarin orange segments, grated carrots or beets.  Think of your colours when you are making your dinner.

You will soon find that adding some of these little enhancements make you enjoy more of what you eat, add some new flavours and flavenoids to your meals, and add a little extra spring in your step.

No comments:

Post a Comment