Sunday, December 15, 2013

Candy Cane Beets and Beet Marinated Salmon

Beets are plentiful during the holidays & are packed with nutrition.  How could they be otherwise with that bold, colour-drenched palette.  While the red beets are traditional, golden, yellow and beautiful candy cane beets are really dramatic for presentation.

I am roasting off two bags of candy cane and golden beets to prepare for Christmas eve, where they will serve as the accompaniment to my beet-marinated salmon.

I scrubbed the skins and put them in a 350 degree oven for about an hour.  Roasting them will allow the sugars to carmelize and for the hard, raw texture to soften.

I'm going to take the skins off, and freeze them once roasted.  The day before dinner, I will thaw them and cut them into thin slices.

I have two huge salmon filets.  I am going to shred raw, red beets and surround the salmon with the very well salted shreds. The beets will impart a gorgeous red hue to the pale, orange salmon.

Pics to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment