Tuesday, March 30, 2010

How to find the extra time every day to eat properly...

Don't you hate misleading titles?

Here's a little tip from me to you - there IS NO time. So we need to stop complaining about it and make the time! Yesterday was a crazy day - in and out of important meetings where it was important to be relaxed, casual, positive and focussed. Talk about a connundrum. It wasn't a day to be frazzled by no time, nothing to eat, running on coffee, aggravated by a red-light because I've just lost 60 seconds kind of day... But "mama said there'd be days like this" so I just suck it up and do my best.

Walked in the house at 8:05 after having no lunch (unless a bag of S+V Lays counts as lunch)and hungry. The Ratatouille from yesterday went to Bill hours earlier. I always find it funny how I go to great lengths to ensure Harrison and Bill are really well fed, and will neglect myself... I was tempted to just eat popcorn but decided against it. Motivated by the killer potatoes from yesterday, I wanted to duplicate the dish because it was so insanely good.

It's rare that I run home and do a dish two days in a row, but this one was just that good. A great tip is DO NOT CHANGE OUT OF YOUR WORK CLOTHES BEFORE GETTING DINNER GOING! Put an apron on if you're 'Chanel'd, but those 15 minutes on the front end mean dinner that much sooner. And would you rather eat at 8:45 or 9?

I peeled potatoes quickly, and Harrison helped. Sliced them into thin slices, and then grabbed the leftover chopped onions from the freezer, sprinkled them over top. Crushed two cloves of garlic, and sprinkled those too. Covered with remaining layers of potatoes (saving the prettier slices for the top) and again poured the last of the mushroom broth filling to 2/3 full. Turned oven on to 350 and sure enough? Heavenly scent in 10 minutes (while I was slipping on my jeans and a t-shirt) and dinner was ready by 8:40.

I could have skipped it.

I could have ordered in.

I could have heated up some boxed prepared factory cardboard thing.

I'm glad I tried, because nothing was more comforting on a schedule-silly day than a beautiful potato mushroom gratin.

"Find Time" With These Crazy-Busy Tips:

* Have an apron in your kitchen and let it be the first thing you put on after you take off your coat.
* Dice an onion or two and keep it in the freezer in a plastic bag.
* There is no "time". Get over it and eat real food anyway.
* Remember flavour bases like onion, garlic, lemon, tomato, basil, paprika and dijon mustard - they are your best friend when rushed.

Home cooked food is a great band-aid for chaos.

Eating something real is better than skipping a meal entirely - especially if it's something homey and comfortable and delicious. It can counteract a crazy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment