Monday, April 5, 2010

It will take longer to write this...

than it did to make dinner. Tonight, Harrison wanted to buy a box of prepared "Indian Butter Chicken". He did put forth an excuse for why he should be "allowed" to eat chicken ("their brain activity is already over because they're dead") and I didn't want to fight him, so I agreed. He's trying to heat it up right now, and I'm making him read the instructions - secretly racing the blog writing.

I bought a prepared jar of butter chicken sauce (there are vegan versions available)(he just got the box open) and dumped a can of chickpeas, which you should thoroughly rinse under running water to avoid digestion issues, a cut up "Gardein breast" (which tastes just like chicken, especially with a strong sauce), and some frozen cauliflower florets in a pot. (he has the box open and hit the 5 minute button on the microwave). As it was simmering on low - medium heat, I peeled a potato and cubed it, added it to the pot and added about 1/4 cup of water.

The mixture simmered for about a 25 minutes, but I was out of the kitchen in less time than it took for Harrison's "meal" to thaw.

Fast Forward a half hour - even though Harrison's meal was "ready" in 5 minutes, it had about eight tiny pieces of chicken and some white basmati rice - what I consider to be virtually no nutrition at all.

My indian stew was hearty, with soft cubes of potatoes, sturdy chickpeas, and chicken-y pieces of vegetable protein. It had lots of fibre, lots of flavour, had no fat at all, and no cholesterol.

When asked which he preferred, Harrison said that my sauce was a bit too thin, so if I could make it thicker, mine was better.

That was a five minute experiment worth trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment