Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Speedy raw foodie



One day in my office, I was joking with my assistant about an idea I thought was particularly brilliant. To reinforce the point and highlight my perception of my own genius, and in a complete mish-mosh of grammar, I uttered the phrase "to excellent my awesomeness".

It makes no sense, and is really quite cocky and self-centred - however, in this particular blog entry it applies....

I always joke that being a vegetarian requires a bit more creativity than meat-eating, because a head of broccoli doesn't just jump out at you as a dinner the way a chicken breast does or a steak. You usually have to work at "something" to make it into dinner.

Except yesterday!!!

I turned a pot on, added 1 1/2 cups of water, salted the water and brought it to a boil. Added one cup of whole wheat couscous, and stared at the crown of broccoli I bought. And it actually inspired me to make it into dinner!!! I took a sharp paring knife, and sliced off the florets into little bite sized bunches, and dropped them into the pot. By the time I was done this (20 seconds?) the couscous had absorbed the water, and was nicely steaming the broccoli - just barely, and enough to turn it a brilliant emerald green!

I minced a clove of garlic, handed Bill the microplane to zest and juice the lemon and melted 1 tbsp of coconut oil in the microwave. We tossed everything together, sliced some beautiful Essex County cherry tomatoes into the bowls and ate!

It literally took about 2 minutes to prep and was absolutely delicious! Because the broccoli wasn't "cooked" it had a beautiful crunch, tasted great with the lemon-garlic-coconut, and was a nice colour contrast with the bright red tomato.

I know Alicia's kids would love this - as would the little broccoli-loving 2 year olds, Avery and Abby - as would my friend Renee (who could not look any more gorgeous at 6 months pregnant), as would my hopefully newest mom friend Carolyn - who will have absolutely NO time for long recipies for the next 3 months.

It doesn't even need an ingredient list! It's just a title!!!! Lemon Garlic Broccoli Couscous with Coconut Oil and Cherry Tomatoes

This recipie was a total success in every field - taste, cost, speed and nutrition.

And I mention it on the blog just to excellent my awesomeness

;)

No comments:

Post a Comment