Friday, April 9, 2010

The Pesto Taste Test


I love "payday". Some people probably splurge on shoes, or clothes, or electronics on the days they get paid, but I splurge on food:) (if you read regularly, you are not surprised by this...)

So yesterday I bought five versions of our favourite prepared pesto. Tradizionale, Medeterraneo, Azteca, Provenzale and Thai. We got a prepared pizza crust and some vegan mozzarella, and divided the pizza into five sections - each with a different pesto.

(p.s. the taste test was Harrison's idea, as he didn't realize there were FIVE versions of the prepared pesto that I usually get when I need a "fast food" night. He loves the flavours and would put pesto on everything...)

(p.p.s. yes, Pesto is my version of "fast food")

We baked them off on my new pizza stone and all three of us tested each one.

While I love my own pesto because I can eliminate the cheese and add lemon and dijon, I can live with the quick versions in a pinch.

Try a taste test with your kids - it is a great excuse to have them think about what they like, how slightly similar tastes can evoke a preference, and how to read an ingredient label. We have actually done this a lot at our house - with everything from soup to oatmeal.

The verdict?

Bill loved the azteca version, with jalapenos, parsley and smoked paprika.

Harrison - ever the classicist - loved the traditional version.

Me? Hands down, the Thai version was incredible - with peanuts, thai basil and chiles.

Classic Vegan Pesto:
Fresh bunch of Basil Leaves (no need to discard the stems, since they are being blended into a puree)
1 tbsp dijon mustard
1/2 tsp salt
Zest of 1 organic lemon
Juice of the same lemon (strain out the pits)
1/4 cup of olive oil
1/4 cup pine nuts

Toss the ingredients into a magic bullet or blender and puree until smooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment