Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Jitters...

After an exhaustively long "morning" (it is now 2:18, and I haven't eaten breakfast or lunch), I am taking a quick break to blog about a dinner I'm hosting tonight for some of my students. One of the shifts that has taken place for our house is the "vegan thing". I love having students out to the house - especially as they are getting more stressed as exams loom. Having said that, I am literally nervous because of the distintively non-meaty offerings tonight. I didn't want to completely abandon my ways of eating (which I will Zuber moot till the cows come home is healthier than any other way of eating, bar none!) but I don't want to impose them on everyone either.

In any event, tonight's dinner is stuffed baby peppers with a jalapeno corn polenta, a maquechoux (which is a delicious New-Orleanian corn tomato and green pepper dish, which I augmented with some brown rice for both heft and cost savings), an herb and garlic roasted filet of salmon, some sauteed lemon garlic rainbow swiss chard, and some carmellized sweet potato wedges with the most delicious sweet and spicy BBQ sauce imaginable. I may do an apple and pecan spinach salad if I get out of the office on time. To open, I'm serving a steaming bowl of coconut tomato soup, which I developed on the weekend and made a second batch of last night.

Finally, I'm making classic Beignets for dessert because - for all the health merits of 8-9 servings of veggies over the course of dinner, something deep fried SHOULD be a treat.

Photos to follow, and I sure hope everything comes out OK...

1 comment:

  1. As one of those students, I can say that the entire meal was delicious and that it was refreshing to have such an array of vegetable-based dishes!! Who knows... I may turn to Veganism myself :)

    ReplyDelete