Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Nine Lines for Cheese, Nine Pages for Bread

Check this video out:  Excellent and cute.  http://makeitpossible.com/take_action/

Veg News posted their Big Cheese Issue this month.  The pages were packed with beautiful "cheese" recipes (all vegan) that I couldn't WAIT to try.  The Veg news recipes for both Brie and Buffalo Mozzarella seemed simple enough.  About nine or ten lines per paragraph, and only three of those per recipe.

It took me about nine days to ensure I had everything in the house I needed, even though there were only about nine ingredients.

Agar Agar is a plant based seaweed coagulant that subs in for the animal bone based gelatin in most cheeses.  Found it on my most recent trip to TO at the gorgeous St. Lawrence Market.

Located plain soy yogurt at the Whole Foods in Oakville on the way home.

Tapioca flour was the last non-pantry item I needed to find... at Bulk Barn around the corner.

I guess the "let sit for 8 - 24 hours" lines just snuck in there.... and this recipe is taking what feels like FOREVER.  But the pride I'm feeling from working through this is indeed a lot of fun.  Patient fun.

In sharp contrast, Julia Child's recipe for bread - yes, flour yeast salt water - BREAD!! - is NINE PAGES.

NINE PAGES of techniques!  And worth every single word.  That woman was masterful in her details.  It is a work of military precision reading and working through those pages!

So,  going 9 lines at a time with about a day and a half in between steps I should have the cheese done in a few months, tops ;)

Bread will be done in a few hours.

I bet, however, that homemade Vegan brie and homemade bread is going to be worth it.

Or at least a NINE out of ten.  Stay tuned.



No comments:

Post a Comment