Thursday, February 14, 2013

Miso Soup Surprise

I'm quite sure that most moms think that their kids are the greatest.  I certainly think that of my son:)

Tuesday evening, I could feel like I was coming down with something.  Working in a busy building with 600 Type A personalities during flu season doesn't help.   Flu bugs and viruses were making the rounds with our entire office admin.  And yet, after going mostly vegan for 3.5 years I was quite proud to say that I haven't had one cold or flu.  At most I would feel mild " biological imbalances", puree up some greens, up my fluids and flavenoids, and come out the other side unscathed.

Until Tuesday around 1:30.

My muscles felt like I had just come through an exhausting workout - weak & sore.  I was sweating, yet freezing.  Pushing through a workload made more ominous by the vacation of my fabulous co-worker (she's getting a RED CARPET when she gets back!) I just refused to give in to it.  I worked the afternoon with my winter coat on, looking ridiculous, but certain that it would pass.

I would be arriving home much later than usual, and had telephoned Harrison several times to keep him posted.

I inhaled the smell of something homey, and comforting.  He hugged me and said "Mom, I made you some soup to help you feel better".

Red miso broth, bright green onions, some fresh garlic and cubes of soft tofu greeted me on the stove.  Miso - the fermented soybean paste that the Japanese enjoy for breakfast - is great for your digestion and internal balance.

But it was unbelievably good that night as a gesture of kindness, and nurturing.

No comments:

Post a Comment