Friday, February 15, 2013

Fried Taste Buds and Audible Chili Verde

My taste buds are fried.

Last night, Harrison made a Tomatillo Chile Verde on audible directions from me, from the couch.  I just finished some for lunch, and can't taste a thing.  Having said that, I can feel the sensation of having eaten spicy food - without any trace of it.  But the crisp tortillas and raw shredded green apple served with it still gave the crunch balancing off the smooth textures of the chili.

The sensation of eating a tart, crisp Granny Smith apple can sometimes be quite overwhelming to your taste buds.  Just sharp, puckering tartness.  Yesterday?  Nothing.  I could feel the taste buds pucker WITHOUT any taste.  It defies logic.

This morning, plodding through my workload, I grabbed a cup of peppermint tea.  Warm flavourless liquid, but then - the sensation of freshness and cooling.  Again - I could feel the periperal effects of what I was eating, but without the taste.

There is ALWAYS hot sauce in my vicinity (my desk, my car, my overnight bag, my briefcase...) while writing this I decided to take a tablespoon of hot sauce just for fun.  Surely I will be able to taste that!?!  I did it twice just to try to describe the sensation.  An energetic flush.  My pulse jumps up. I feel myself getting warmer (not unusual with the fever I've been fighting) but clearly induced by the hot sauce.

It is so crazy to "eat" without tasting.  Here is a great recipe for an unusual, but really great green chili.

* This recipe has been adapted from Veganomicon.  The original recipe contains cubed white potatoes, but I have skipped them here.

Audible Chile Verde

1-2 cups chopped cubanelle peppers
1 cup chopped white onions
1-2 cloves of garlic
1 jar Tomatillo Salsa (President's Choice makes a great one)
1 can (rinsed) white kidney beans
1 can (rinsed) white navy beans
3 teaspoons cumin
optional? 1/4 cup white wine
1 cup Vegetable Broth or water
2 Granny Smith Apples

In a large pot, saute peppers, onions, garlic and cumin until veggies are soft.  Add white wine, reduce slightly.    Add the jar of salsa, the two cans of beans, and enough stock or water to get the chili to the consistency you like.

Shred the green apples, and add them at the last minute.

Fresh cilantro, finely chopped jalapeno and sliced avocado are great green garnishes.  Hopefully they are a good jump start to my immune system, too.











No comments:

Post a Comment