Thursday, November 26, 2009

Going Forward (after the HEARTbreak...)

Given that this is the 26th day of our challenge, it has been quite natural to consider where we will go from here. I do not plan on adding dairy, eggs and especially meat back into my diet, and that presents me with a number of challenges.

The blog has been helpful, and illustrative since it is really a snapshot of a meat-eater's transition to a plant-based diet. Sunday was impossibly funky, because it was really hitting me that there are things I will not be eating again, and ways of cooking I will not be mastering again. I had to avoid food TV for a while, too.

Sunday felt like a breakup day. I considered all the things that I have to move on, from. I love food, and now some of it is necessarily being left behind. I know it's not good for me, I see a better life without it, and I craved some closure, but the memories were still too fresh. My pantry and fridge look just a bit different now, but it's obvious in the fridge that something is GONE. Anytime we face up to choose what is good for us (and especially to unchoose what is worst for us), it can be hard. The new relationship is so much healthier for me, and it does highlight the devilish stuff quite obviously.

I am glad I went through my Julia Child months, learning to make the best beef bourgignon, and the most incredible egg and hollandaise dishes. I find it completely amusing today that the one "video" clip I was able to master that made its way to the blog is a roast chicken! My top 39 list, created just a month ago before my birthday, has more items that I can continue to enjoy than it did items which will be left in the grocery stores permanently. But re-reading it does illustrate my passion for food, the good stuff, and a commitment to delicious, efficient and healthy food.

So rather than cry about it (would you laugh if I told you I did?) I'm just going to keep going, one hopeful day at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment