Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Indian Butter Chickpeas


My vegan experiment has led me to the rediscovery of the most delicious, voluminous and satisfying food that even I am surprised.

I've discovered a substance called "cashew cream" - from Tal Ronnen's cookbook "The Conscious Cook". It is incredibly easy and well worth any effort. After soaking raw cashews overnight, you puree the slippery, cold bits with a bit of water into a fatty, delicious CREAM! Seriously - it is divine and STARTLINGLY dairy-free.

I love finding "cream" in the nuttiest places!

So many observations to share...

1. Any inches gained through my crazy beginning to the fall are gone. I have never ever ever been slimmer, except when I was 17, and I lost 6 pounds the first week. I can see my muscles under my skin, more than any results I saw in intense boot camps.

2. I am devouring delicious food in huge quantities, and can not wait for my next meals. They are teeming with flavour, and more colour than even I am used to. The flavours are really full, and intense - not boring at all!

3. My skin has absolutely no need for moisturizer any more. It has never ever felt more supple, and doesn't really feel like my face! Absolutely no trace of blemishes or stress.

4. My grocery bill went up initially, since I purchased a few vegan staples like coconut oil (which smells like a tropical vacation and tastes even better), Vegenaise (which is fabulously reminiscent of my fave, Hellmanns, without the eggs) and Earth Balance (which tastes and melts and spreads just like butter). I know what everyone is getting from me for Christmas in their stockings... Coconut oil is great in cookies.

5. My grocery bills are about to be cut by about 75%. Vegetables, beans and whole grains are incredibly cheap it turns out! Can you imagine adding another 10 GRAND to your life per year, just through your food choices? I'm planning another vacation with the savings.

6. I feel incredible, and my energy level is really balanced! I sleep really well, and wake up rested.

7. I am really feeling less stressed. I have changed absolutely nothing else in my life, and work and life are as busy as ever. I can only attribute the change to the fact that there are no frustrated, stressed or scared animal molecules hanging out in my body any more.

Tonight's dinner was Indian Butter Chickpeas.

One can of organic chickpeas,
One glug of homemade roasted tomato sauce
One clove of chopped garlic
One chopped shallot
Two tablespoons cashew cream
1 tsp Tandoori spice
Hot sauce to taste,

Served over Quinoa (in the rice cooker!!)and chopped green onions on top.

Veganism rocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment