Monday, November 9, 2009

Homemade Sushi and Toasted Sesame Oil



If I have one piece of advice tonight, it is that people need to invest in their children's tastebuds.

Of course, we are 9 days post-Halloween. 9 days of sugar comas. 9 days of crap, that I not only have allowed my son to eat, but actually handed out to other people's kids at the door!

Tomorrow (I have a 10 day rule for consumption of Halloween candy), I will get rid of whatever junk is left, but my son beat me to it.

After picking him up from school, he wanted to make sushi tonight, as our dinner. I had to pull off the regular route home from his after-school care to get Nori (and he found it in the store before I did!). I went upstairs to change, and found the ingredients removed from the fridge, and spread all over the counter. He has such a knack for knowing what would and should go in, the photo is posted, below.



We made Quinoa, I grilled a portobello, sliced an avocado, and rolled away.

It wasn't the best sushi - I had mine in a bowl, because I am not a fan of Nori - but it was deep, rich, and looked really cool.

Toasted sesame oil seems to be the favourite now with Harrison - very macrobiotic with the depth of the upcoming winter - with soy, tamari and mushroom. We added avocado for fat, green and creaminess.

Even he was craving something healthier than crap chocolate, refined sugar, and transfatty sludge. I am quite sure that sushi cravings are the polar opposite of these, and it couldn't have come one day too soon. His tastebuds are maturing - beyond those of a glucose-needing toddler, and into a healthy transitioning young person.

No comments:

Post a Comment