Friday, July 16, 2010

$62.62 + $5.25

Grocery shopping was a breeze today, as I had my list and checked off things as I went through the store. Splurged a little on raw cashews (since I'm in the mood for raspberry ice cream) and pine nuts (to add to our pasta salad), but otherwise pretty much stayed on track from the list.

Bill and I have Abby today so I wanted to make burgers. I have the day off work, and like to try new recipies on days when I have time to do it. Veganomicon has a black bean burger I have been dying to try, so I took a stab at it. 1 can of black beans, 1/2 cup of whatever "vital wheat gluten" is, a clove of minced garlic, 1/2 a red onion, and some s+p to taste, plus some of my new smoked sea salt from McEwan. I also added a half cup of bread crumbs and 1/4 cup of vegetable stock. I had a bit of leftover quinoa, so that went in too - about 1/8 cup. I mashed it all together and then grabbed the mixture and mush-mixed it by hand...

Made the patties and put them on the george foreman grill. About 10 minutes later, the most delicious smell was emanating from the kitchen. Turns out, the vital wheat gluten helped form a gorgeous brown crust on the outside of the burger, they looked very much like beef burgers and were delicious on the fresh buns we bought. In addition, Abby ate an entire burger!!! Totally cool.

One tip I learned when Harrison was small is that kids will eat lots of newer things if they are HUNGRY than if they are full. I was thrilled that she ate it!

Last, but certainly not least, the entire meal for all three of us (Bill had 2, I had 2 and Abby had 1, and I have 3 burgers left, was $3.38. There are 3 buns left and 3 burgers. So each burger was about 46 cents!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment