Friday, July 23, 2010

Two Roasted Vegetable Soups

One really great way to enjoy summer vegetables is to roast them and then puree everything into a heavy soup.

I've done this now two days in a row, to delicious results.

Day one I took five tomatoes, cut them in half. One onion, cut in eighths. Sprinkled with sea salt and fresh pepper, drizzled with about 2 tsp olive oil and 2 tsp black balsamic vinegar. I roasted them in the oven in a casserole (but a cookie sheet lined with parchment would do, too). When they were soft and mushy, I threw them in the blender with some hot water. It was gorgeous - almost like a bisque. It made two large bowls of soup, the equivalent of 2 1/2 vegetables in each.

Yesterday I thought I'd do the same thing, but with yellow peppers. So I cubed them, added another chopped onion, added the wilting celery (about a cup and a half) and drizzed with olive oil, and white balsamic, salt and pepper.

Same drill - roast till mushy, puree, and add water.

It was beautiful - fresh and bright - and looked fabulous in the bowl. I served the tomato soup beside a (vegan) grilled "cheese" whole wheat baguette, and served the pepper soup alongside some pre-made Indian appetizers with a spicy tamarind sauce.

Did you know that peppers have more vitamin C than an orange? We got our veggies both nights, and prep was barely 3 minutes before and a minute to puree the soup and pour.

Just realized that it's Friday morning, and I survived the grocery week with about $25 to spare.

No comments:

Post a Comment