Monday, July 18, 2011

For Alicia

One of the things I learned quickly in plant-based eating is how much of a friend my rice cooker actually is. You absolutely MUST have one.

I use mine for all kinds of combinations - but my favourite lately is brown rice and lentils. It is literally so easy. You just scoop out how many portions you want (1 = 1 scoop, 4 portions = 4 scoops) and then add water to the line inside which corresponds with how many scoops you put in. It takes longer to explain the directions than to make the rice.

I will salt the water, and add any watery veggies (carrots, tomatoes, etc...) but I do stay away from spicing it until it's cooked since I use it for oatmeal. I don't care how cheffy I ever get, but I don't see the need for curry-scented oatmeal....



Here are two easy ways to reinvent any bean and rice dish. Use an ice cream scoop to form balls over tortilla chips, and pop in the oven to heat. Add fresh avocado and cilantro for colour and flavour.




Heat a few spoonfulls in a nonstick pan until the bottom browns and becomes crisp. A bit of olive oil will help, although it's not necessary. Sprinkle over salad greens - here, I've toasted a tortilla into a bowl.

OK - THREE WAYS. Three quarters of the way through the salad, I wrapped up the rest, into the tortilla. You could eat the leftover mixture either way. Great for lunches or a quick wrap on the go.

A FOURTH? Take leftover rice and beans, and turn it into a burger or even a croquette. Do I hear six?

Here is a quick list of a few combos:

Oatmeal + fruit

Bulgur wheat + parsley + green onions

Brown rice + lentils

Jasmine rice + coconut milk + ginger

Black/ Wild rice + extra water !!!

Yellow peas + vegetable stock

French Lentils + shallots

Amaranth + lemon juice

the list goes on....

No comments:

Post a Comment