Monday, July 18, 2011

Sweet and Spicy Coleslaw ... the GOOD kind!



I always hated coleslaw as a kid. It was too crunchy and I hated the sweetly slippery texture over cabbage. Seriously, what kid would like that stuff?

Having said that, I have now come to really appreciate a great coleslaw and with just a few twists, made one that is completely crave-able.

I use Napa Cabbage instead of the hard white or red kind. It's light, crispy and easy to munch with no bitter ugly flavours.

I love a simple dijon / vegenaise dressing, with a bit of palm sugar or agave for sweetness.

Finally, I will heat some pine nuts or almonds in a pan with more brown sugar, and just warm the sugar until it crystallizes and coats the nuts. As a final step, I shake a hearty shower of cayenne for spicy sweet greatness. If I have cranberries or currants, so much the better.

Final product just leaps off the plate, and I find that I never seem to make enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment