Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Raw Power

Last Saturday, I had just about had it with my overboard non-vegan week.  I was feeling like my veins had slow moving oatmeal running through them, my energy was low and my skin was dull and breaking out.  It's like a big scarlet letter on my forehead when I eat dairy now - a telltale sign that I've been off my veggies.

So - recalibration time.

Breakfast was two peeled and seeded grapefruits, and two cups of spinach in the blender, with some ice cubes and filtered water.  Yielded two full glasses of green juice, which tasted better than I thought it would.  It actually felt quite detoxifying - like it was going through my system as if it were cleaning up after a wild party.

I booked a facial at 4:00, a gift-certificate from Bill for Valentine's Day.  I could get clean on the inside and out!  Since most of the yard work was done (except for actually PLANTING), I could just sit, drink an herbal tea and read.  My choice?  A raw vegan cookbook that I got for Christmas.

Lunch was another cup and a half of spinach blended with vanilla coconut milk and green apple.

The recipies lept off the page, my facial was great, and Bill got home around the same time.  We went out for dinner, had a nice bruschetta with lots of tomato, garlic and basil, a fresh asparagus soup and two loaded fresh salads - mine with cranberries and walnuts, and his with beets and pecans.

Couldn't believe that I felt satisfied, full and really balanced.

Sunday through tonight have led to some really RAW choices, and I have never felt more stable.  Animal food makes me more anxious than plants, and I sleep better too.

Sunday lunch was raw asparagus spears tossed in umeboshi vinegar, lime zest and a bit of soy sauce, sprinkled with sesame seeds and chia, and another bruschetta with local tomatoes and my yet, unplanted sweet basil.

Dinner was a raw "asian stir-fry".  One of my favourite kid tricks is instead of mixing everything together already, I will put out about 8 veggies, some chopped two different ways and hand Harrison a pan.  When you give a child choice - even over simple items - it empowers them, and broadens their taste buds.  Amazing how he chooses the carrots, the finely diced celery (but avoided the larger ones), the mushrooms (I avoided those) took a few peppers for colour, no asparagus.  Tossed in some Blue Menu teriyaki tofu from president's choice, and dinner was raw, colourful, flavourful and fresh.

Lunch was a napa cabbage, with avocado, orange segments and julienned green apple.  Dressing was orange juice, umeboshi vinegar, agave and a bit of salt.

Yesterday's dinner, following a 3.5 mile run, was broccoli, cashews, more thin cabbage, and more organic green apples in a dressing of sweet chili sauce, soy and my own hot sauce.  Another raw winner, that doubled as a great lunch today.

Smoothie this morning was apple, banana, and napa cabbage, and was surprisingly delicious!  Banana for snack, raw hummus with hot sauce and Ryvita crackers, for another snack, and a raw salad with celery, red and yellow carrots, cucumber, and balsamic yellow tomatoes with Italian dressing spiked with Jerk Seasoning.  Our new fave.

Since I was not even remotely sore from my run the day before, I went for another 3.5 mile run again today. I attribute the complete muscle recovery to the raw veggies.

Ravenous at 8 PM, instead of a cereal alone, I cut up another green apple and added 1/3 cup of soaked walnuts to 1/4 cup of cereal with coconut milk.

This raw thing is really amazing.  Maybe I'll go for a month 90% raw, and see whether it makes any difference?
I

No comments:

Post a Comment