Thursday, May 31, 2012

Cold Heat : Raw Indian Cauliflower and Bean Salad

I am totally getting into this raw thing.  Last night, I chopped up a head of cauliflower into bite sized pieces, and added a can of rinsed chickpeas and another can of black beans to a bowl.

To make a sauce or dressing, I used my magic bullet to blend a can of san marzano tomatoes until they were smooth.  Added garam masala spice, cumin, coriander, cayenne, curry powder and fenugreek to a pot and was careful to just warm the sauce, so as not to destroy the raw enzymes in the tomatoes.  I also added a quarter cup of raw coconut butter, and mixed until smooth, and then seasoned it with sea salt.

When I poured over the cauliflower / bean mixture and stirred until combined, it became a nice marinated salad!

After a taste check, the raw cauliflower required more salt, and more spices - raw veggies don't have the subtlety of cooked ones, and need more seasoning.

Garnished with celery leaves.

Harrison ate the whole thing, and was surprised that he did!  Bill and I negotiated over the leftovers.


p.s.  they are delicious for lunch!  ;)  The "heat" in the dish is surprising, even though it's a cold salad, and it seems to be even better today than it was last night.


No comments:

Post a Comment