Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Accountability, Confessions and Perfect Eggs Benedict

Have you ever heard the expression "when you meet new people, you meet yourself"? Since starting this blog, I really can not believe how often I think about food, food pairings, and what would be or has been delicious. Sharing thoughts on food is a bit daunting, but it's been great to hear everyone's feedback, and see my friends "following". So here is a little insight:

1. I was a VERY fussy eater as a kid. Now, I have the most adventurous eater as my own child. Go figure.

2. I was a vegetarian for years before I got pregnant with my son. During my pregnancy, all I wanted was meat. Go figure.

3. I hated whole wheat bread as a kid. Now I think it's tantamount to child abuse to feed kids white bread which has no usable nutrients for a growing body or mind. I realize this makes me incredibly judgmental.

4. My mom, despite feeding her kids white bread (but arguably before anyone knew any better) is the founder of all of my great eating habits. She was and is an amazing cook, and really limited the junk food we ate as kids. She is the best mom ever, and I credit her with my lack of a sweet tooth. I am greasing the wheels now, because grandparenthood apparently has erased all these good qualities. She loves feeding my son all the sugary stuff I would have given my right arm for when I was 9!

5. When I was growing up, if my friend's mom cooked anything with curry during the entire week, I would refuse to play over there. My son's favourite flavours are Indian. I'm Ukrainian.

6. I love to work out really really really hard so that every so often I can eat a lot of ice cream. Wince.

7. If I was going to die tomorrow, I would make my perfect eggs benedict, and serve it with perfectly chilled Grand Dame Veuve Cliquot Champagne.

Perfect Eggs Benedict
Poached Egg - this is not hard, just remember to add vinegar to the water and lower the egg in slowly.

Extra Lemon Hollandaise. Whisk the YOLKS of the eggs in a bowl until golden yellow. Add lemon juice - keep whisking. Add a tbsp of dijon mustard. Keep whisking. Add clarified salted butter in a slow stream until emulsified. To "cook" the mixture, hold it with an oven mitt over the boiling egg pot.

Serve on a crisp, but soft-on-the-inside whole grain english muffin. Crumble with very crisp proscuitto.

The contrasts are striking. The smooth hollandaise, light egg, crisp bread and crackling proscuitto are heavenly.

This meal can only be improved in two ways : when it's shared with the man I love, or with my 9 year old bareley watching his Sunday morning cartoons because he's too busy eating:)

No comments:

Post a Comment