Sunday, July 5, 2009

Time with leftovers = leftover time!

My son read my blog on the weekend, and says I have to be more concise. He also wants to know why I'm doing this? He's a tough critic, but an amazing eater. I LOVE when he loves something, and that keeps me trying to impress him:)

Another reason is that people are always asking me "Can I have the recipe for that" "How did you make this?" and then saying "I could never do that!". While I am loathe to admit to anyone that I'm less than brilliant, this really isn't rocket science. One chef says most people cook things too much, and don't salt things enough! Also, you need guts. I take chances, mix in things that are in the back 40 of my kitchen to something we already like!!!

Another summer weekend evaporated! It's 4:30 and I really want to get some stuff done this week after work. Hit grocery store to modify last week's easy food prep. Get chicken and pork again, but not much more since there is still food in my fridge which I should use before buying more.

Those ripe tomatoes that didn't make the Thursday sandwich-from-heaven got cut up, spashed with olive oil and salt, joined a red and yellow pepper and were roasted at 350 for an hour. They hit the blender with a very wilted broccoli and some garlic.

Grabbed the 4 leftover lasagna sheets which I froze from last week. Sauce, noodle, cheese (sprinkled with steak spice:), noodle, spinach, salt, noodle, sauce, mozzarella, sauce, done. I love that there are 6 portions here that took minutes.

I have more "sauce" than I needed. Maybe I'll make soup? Grabbed leftover celery stalks, kept the prettier pieces for the stir fry. Cut up the leafy ones and added to pot. Cut up onion in strips for stir fry, cubed the rest, added half to soup.

I feel like Remy in Ratatouille when I make a good soup. That satisfied beautiful smile on his face when he jumps across the soup pot while salting it makes me gleeful every time!!

Since the "indian thing" was awesome last week, and I still have one portion of cauliflower, I'll add another can of chickpeas, evoo, garlic, more tandoori and cayenne. Chicken is ready to go. How do you say Encore in India?

Although I added a tonne of spinach to the lasagna, there is still just a bit more. Basil from my Aerogarden is growing over, so that means pesto. In magic bullet go spinach, basil, evoo, salt, garlic and lemon juice. An ounce or two of parmiggiano/reggiano is still in the fridge. In it goes, buzz, and pesto is done. Reminds me of the "When Harry Met Sally"..."Pesto is the quiche for the 80's" line, and George's quip to Jerry Seinfeld "Why do I order pesto? Why do I think I'll like it?"...

I love that there will be time for TV this week during the evening, because of what I did tonight. I love that I may get out for another run or two. I love that I might spend some evening time gardening, or making my own pasta, or sneaking roasted beets into chocolate cupcakes, or just curling up with one of those books I never ever have time to read.

Asian Pork Stir Fry, Veggie Lasagna, Vegetable Soup, Pesto Chicken, Tandoori Chicken is the week's menu. Cost :$28.50 for the week, or $1.50 per person per meal. Apparently there will be some cash leftover too!

No comments:

Post a Comment