Saturday, July 25, 2009

Carrots and Rainwater


I have a million things to do today... And yet I took a half hour or so (in the rain) to weed the garden. I am so excited about my carrots - I planted seeds in April, and lined them up with an old hockey stick. They are gorgeous now - "toy" carrots, that look so unbelievably cute, and purple haze carrots that are beet purple on the outside and bright orange inside.

When I was done weeding, with four carrots in hand, I noticed the rain was literally running down the rainspout at the house. Instead of pouring all the dirt from the carrots down the kitchen sink drain, I rinsed them in the rainwater.
I love these little, enchanting moments. How calming they are - how addictive they are. Carrots pulled fresh from the ground have the most incredible smell. It's 9:28 and I have so much to do today, but I'm at least going to have breakfast before I get at it.

Carrots.


No comments:

Post a Comment