Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Wiebe of Truth

I went to a lecture series at the University tonight. Nettie Wiebe, the distinguished visitor for Women's Studies, was giving a talk on women, food production and feminism. What an amazing topic!!!

It was hard not to bob my head in agreement at each sentence and I don't think I was able to stop myself. Women have such a role in how people are fed.

When I see hideously overweight children on the street, I want to smack their moms.

Then I want to smack the people who market to those kids' moms.

Then I want to populate every grocery store with women like Nettie Wiebe - could she police the check out? Could she heist their wallets before they spent money they earned on crap and poison for their kids? Could even she break this cycle of disintegration of food? I think so.

I think (and believe) we all can!

Instead I want to keep blogging and keep nudging people who I think could use an opinionated nudge.

I wish I had the strength to be a vegan - I know it would be better for my health, and the environment, but I'm not sure I can give up eggs, butter and cheese! I know I am strong enough to be a vegetarian (my definition is not eating anything with a face) and I always feel better about those choices.

I wonder if the guys will even notice? I seriously doubt it, as long as the food is good! Most of my food is 75-80% vegetables already, with any protein taking its role as an add-on. Dinners have usually consisted in a 4 oz portion of protein for years now. It shouldn't be impossible to eliminate it entirely for a while?

For some time now, I've been searching for a challenge to the blog. For a reason? I love how something will just motivate me, and make me think about my relationship with food. About the seasons, about time and effort in eating, about thoughtless and powerless eating. But I'm wanting more. Like a year-long challenge.

I wonder if I follow up my lust for beets, my infidelity with pumpkin, and my sadness at carnivorism with a weekly challenge for entering my 40th year? Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment