Tuesday, October 12, 2010

A quick note about the Thanksgiving "Sweets"

If Thanksgiving is the Oscars, and the Turkey is best actor, then sweet potatoes have to rank as best supporting actress. They're sweet, colourful, healthy and irresistable.

But some people make them far too sweet (remember that kid who won best supporting with that hideous hat?- TOO SWEET to the point where it's a turn off). I feel the same way about that hat as I do when people douse their dinner sweet potatoes in marshmallows and sugar and maple syrup. It's too much!

So, instead of overstyling a cute kid, I think sweet potatoes belong on the savoury and spicy side. My sweet potatoes are more like Queen Latifah in Chicago.

I shredded them and then baked them in the oven with some water. Could have used a stock, but I didn't have any. When they were out, I mashed them slightly, added a generous cranking of Indian spices from a grinder, a tiny bit of brown sugar, some cinnamon and grated in some fresh ginger.

Scott - who is unabashed in his love of all meaty things - loved these. He also thought a lot of a chili I threw together so I thought I'd post it here too.

1 can of Bravo tomato sauce
1 can of red kidney beans
1 can of white kidney beans
1-2 tablespoons chili powder. (Check out my Gold Medal Chili for a more complex version, February 2010)

No comments:

Post a Comment