Friday, October 15, 2010

A Quickie...and reincarnated veggies.

Quickly ran into the grocery store yesterday to grab a quick dinner. The fresh pasta (yesterday is was Spaghettini) is always such a time-saver for me. I also grabbed a can of San Marzano-Style (Canadian) tomatoes and a can of navy beans.

As many of you know, Harrison loves fresh tuna, so I also picked up some sushi for him as a treat. They actually had the spicy albacore tuna, so I was hoping to impress him.

In a pan on medium I put a bit of olive oil and chopped up a clove of garlic. I also chopped up about a quarter of a white onion into tiny pieces. Dumped the can of tomatoes in, dumped in the rinsed white beans, sprinkled some salt and pepper and finished it with a few splashes of white Balsamic vinegar, which is a trick I learned in Venice. Then I put the lid on, heated the pasta water and dinner was essentially D O N E.

Carissa and Abby were going to come by for a quick bite. I took the sauce and threw a few ladlefuls in the Magic Bullet to puree the white beans and tomatoes over her pasta.

There were a few sad veggies left over from Thanksgiving, a few red peppers, some yellow ones, and a bit of steamed bok choy. So, I chopped them into bite-size pieces and plopped them into the now bubbling sauce.

I do this veggie scouting a lot when I have a sauce or stew or chili on the go. I just eyeball what's in my fridge and then dump it in. Sometimes veggies have lost their youthful glow, but they can still make a wonderful counterpart to an accompanying sauce. Especially if they are already cooked. I almost never waste vegetables, preferring to just recycle them into a new form. Like reincarnation!

I even had enough to invite Carissa and Abby for dinner, fed the three of us, AND have a container of leftovers for lunch.

Harrison, on realizing that I got him tuna sushi, burst out with a version of a Katy Perry song:

California Rolls
They're unforgettable
Tasty treats
With rice on the top...


Love this kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment