Friday, January 28, 2011

Bymark Burger



** A EUREKA MOMENT **

The post that follows was written last week, and is indicative of my struggle between my love of animal based food and my new love of vegan cuisine for all of the environmental, health and financial benefits of eating this way. What I am concerned about is how to possibly imitate this dish that I have just fallen head over heels in love with, with the exception of the fact that it involves cow murder. Plus, I do not want to risk alienating all of my vegan readers. Having said that, many people who transition into this lifestyle do struggle with it at the beginning and while they are learning to find new ways to enjoy old favourites.

I posted the blog, and then the missing piece just hit me. It is the TRUFFLES and the mushrooms that I am really crazy about. It is the salty and peppery contrast that makes me swoon. It is the soft bun and the firm other textures that make it exquisite. SO? I can probably take a stab at a replica with a portobello, truffle vegenaise, and a cashew and nutritional yeast combo to replicate the melted cheese. If I add in a great bun, it might just be possible to still enjoy this treat without the consequences I so happily give up on a daily basis.

I think I can!
I am so wildly impressed with how many people read this little blog project on a regular basis. I know so many of you aren't exactly veganized, but still check it out from time to time for meal ideas.

So - lest you think that I never get tempted by the other treats, I attach a photo of the most fabulous burger on the face of the earth. The first time I tasted it, it left me utterly speechless.

It is by no means at all a regular indulgence for me, but it is one of the single greatest examples of extraordinary animal cuisine. It is a complete and utter luxury dish, with king oyster mushrooms, truffle mayo, the most perfect aged beef imaginable, melted brie de meaux and served on the softest bun and fresh purple lettuce.

I read a great tip in Chris Carr's book for people who want to improve their health and go vegan most of the time, but for whom one particular dish is a favourite. Give up everything except your favourite!!

Seriously, and in all actuality, this burger ACTUALLY helps me stay vegan 99% of the time because once you try Mark McEwan's version of burger Nirvana, you will never want to touch anything else again. It's just an inferior and cheap imitation of perfection.

This burger would literally be my last meal if I am ever offered such a choice, and is literally the best thing I have ever eaten in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment