Monday, January 17, 2011

Cried Tonight...


Near the end of September, as the farm stand down the street was slowly closing out its inventory, I sent Harrison with some cash and instructions to bring back as many local onions as he could carry. They've been stored in a cool, dry place but as I was unpacking some groceries today, I noticed that they are passing their prime.

So - I stacked up the last five remaining onions, (some for stock, some for the freezer) and just started chopping.

And the tears just poured out of me!

There are so many tricks to easing the crying. Do not add - DON'T CHOP ONIONS - to this list. Almost every recipe imaginable starts with chopping an onion of some kind so go fast and get it done.

People try everything... a piece of bread in your mouth, goggles, refrigeration, but in my 20 years' experience, all this does is add time to your prep. Believe it or not, goggles actually do protect your eyes, but how the heck can you see? I don't want to add chopped finger bits to my soup, so for me, I just get on with it and grab a Kleenex...

Enjoyed a delicious coconut curry tonight, with those beautiful yellow carrots, broccoli, corn, ginger, garlic, chili, peanut butter and coconut milk. Had cilantro, but forgot to add it because everything was already so great!

I used my rice cooker to hydrate an orzo / rice blend and it was delicious.

Harrison wants a coconut curry soup for tomorrow, so I am quite sure that by Thursday I will have a glowing complexion from all the coconut, veggies, and - of course - the onion tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment