Sunday, April 28, 2013

10 K Energy Bites

I finished my first 10K race today.  Not bad on zero training, but I am sure I will be feeling it tomorrow.

Today was a perfect day for a 10k run.  It was mild out, I felt rested, I had my favourite running clothes, and I had put in such a full day yesterday of "weekend work" that I felt ready for a treat.

I hadn't committed to doing the race in case something came up.  But nothing did!?!  So I went.  I thought I might just run the 5K, but I felt mentally ready to push to 10.  Mind you, I have only ever run 10k before ONCE - last summer - but felt that if I just paced myself, I could survive it.  Even if it meant I walked some of the way.

Turns out, that was not realistic and my legs were able to keep me going for the entire time.  My brother has been doing triathlons since last June, and it has inspired me to dive into some of my own.  So if not now, never.

Muscle recovery is important in training.  It's not just how you can push yourself while you are doing whatever exercise you want, but how quickly your muscles can repair and recover once you're done.  Plants are remarkable at this.  Brendan Brazier, Robert Cheeke and Carl Lewis are two vegan athletes who credit a plant based diet to improvements in their performance.

Last weekend (far before I ever contemplated today's run) I made some "energy bites" out of some parnoosh dates and everything healthy in my pantry.  They are (were?) a great way to deliver protein, carbohydrate and energy in the form of natural sugar right to my muscles.

They have also been a great "en cas".  An "en cas" is a French woman's term for something to grab just in case one is desperate and in between meals.  The French do not "snack" the way North American's do.  They eat properly and well, not fast and poorly.

My book, Salt Sugar Fat, is amazing, and makes me even more committed to non-processed nourishment.

So, here are my energy bites - fuel for my next series of races:)

1 cup of parnoosh or medjool pitted dates.  (Do not leave the pits in, or you may exercise your dentist's schedule more than your muscles) .  Soak these in hot water to hydrate them.  When they are soft, chop them up into small chunks, about the size of your fingertip.

1 cup of uncooked, plain rolled oats.
1/4 cup hemp seeds
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1 tbsp cocoa powder
4 tbsp protein powder (vegan powders will not use casein or whey - and Brendan Brazier's VEGA line is perfect for this).
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Some honey or agave nectar to sweeten just a bit, and only if you really want to.

Take your rings off and mix with your hands.  Add any other items you like once you have a base.  I might add some chopped nuts or dried fruit.  If the mixture is too dry, add a bit more water.

Layer the mixture in a lasagna pan, and press down until very firmly packed in.  Bake at 300 for about 25 minutes, just to dehydrate the mixture and help the oats absorb some of the liquid.

Let the mixture cool, and cut into squares.  I prefer small 1 inch by 2 inch squares, because I can always take two, rather than waste half of one.  Wrap in plastic wrap and store in an airtight container.

Now RUN!


No comments:

Post a Comment