Saturday, April 13, 2013

Coconut Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato!


For many vegans, bacon is the last thing to come off the menu.

It is salty, sweet, crisp & fatty - basically hitting the entire spectrum of what turns on a human taste bud.

While checking out various vegan blogs with my morning coffee (and a mug of miso soup), I came across a number of postings for coconut bacon.

As simple and easy recipes appeal to me always, the fact that this one had four ingredients - all of which are in my home - was a bonus.

Oven to 400, I mixed some sweetened shredded coconut with "some" tamari (a fermented soy sauce) and some liquid smoke.  The recipe called for maple syrup, but since I only had sweetened coconut, I skipped it.

I baked the coconut until it started to sizzle.  Then, I got lost in doing something else and the next time I noticed, some of the coconut had burnt to a crisp!

So I salvaged the centre bits, which were beautifully browned and crisp.  One forkful, and I was SOLD.

This morning, I had my first BLT in years!

When I think of the ways I can add this flavour back into my repertoire, I am so excited.

Fettucini Carbonara!

Caesar Salad!

Club Sandwiches!

This is the best discovery since coconut hollandaise!





No comments:

Post a Comment