Thursday, April 11, 2013

Kitchen Sink Curry : Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

One of the great tests of a cook is how to re-purpose leftovers.

Over the years I have coined several phrases to discuss a night like tonight.

 I coined the phrase "Four Corners Pasta" - where I take stuff from the four corners of  my kitchen's life (freezer, fridge, pantry and oil & vinegar section) and make a spectacular dinner.  Since, in my opinion, everything can be made into a pasta dish, this ability to match stuff together (with a maximum of three or four ingredients) can be a real Tuesday-saver.

I also like the phrase "Kitchen Sink Curry" - where every leftover veggie, bean, nut butter and sauce ends up in the curry - with coriander, curry, turmeric, and cumin and always with some minced garlic to bring out the zing.  Served over brown rice, jazzed up with green onion or fresh basil, it's never disappointing.  It is also a great budget extender on those nights when you just don't want to do much.

How about "Bites Buffet"?  Where I put everything in the fridge out on the island, and everyone just dives in for a few bites.  This can also be called "Snack Dinner", where raw veggies, hummus, salad, fruit, nuts, crackers and some cold pizza squares can stand in (literally) for something much more time-consuming.

Yes, in Venice they call it "Ciccheti", and in Spain, it's called "Tapas"....

But at our home - it's one great way to reduce, reuse and recycle delicious food I've already shopped for, purchased and prepared.

No comments:

Post a Comment