Monday, April 1, 2013

Easter Indulgences

The Family Celebration Feast is a tradition hardwired into human DNA.

It is NOT hardwired into Animal DNA.

No animal I know of "celebrates" with a different way of eating on a particular day.  Their eating is seasonal and appropriate to the day and the availability of food.

Enter the "EASTER BUFFET".

Our family got together yesterday to celebrate together at a lovely restaurant with a spectacular brunch buffet.  As I am accustomed to doing, I called ahead to let them know that there would be a vegan among them.  I do this for 3 reasons.

1.  It is more considerate than springing it on them and;
2.  Even though I can eat around a buffet if I have to, even most vegetarian items usually have cheese, butter or milk in them.
3.  I want restaurants to get used to hearing the term "vegan"

Nothing makes me happier than seeing a vegan choice on a regular restaurant menu.  I've seen it at football games, in airports and at food trucks.  And if some manager or restauranteur has put it there, I want to reward them by ordering it.

Yesterday's buffet was massive.  Harrison joked that the only thing I could eat was the curly kale which was garnishing the fruit platter.  I took the suggestion literally, helping myself to eight long stems.

A platter of roasted veggies (sweet potatoes, mushrooms, asparagus & red peppers), over top torn kale garnish, with lemon juice (I stole the half lemon garnish from the smoked salmon platter) with a few garlic crostini and a balsamic vinaigrette was a delicious, massive salad.  The restaurant very kindly prepped an angel hair pasta with tomato sauce, lots of veggies and added some chickpeas (because I mentioned I love them).

Harrison piled his plate high with free-range, antibiotic-free, hormone-free chicken (their menu was nicely specific), but ate only a few bites.  (I kept thinking of Warren Kramer's advice on the cruise "not to push too hard"...)   When asked why, he said "honestly, it doesn't have a lot of flavour".

These celebratory meals probably drive about 2500 calories or more into those who indulge in it.

Yes, I know it's Easter.

Yes, it may be a time to gather and celebrate as a family.

But if "family" is the reason we're celebrating, I want those occasions to go on for as many years as we possibly can and I want everyone to be as healthy and confident and vibrant as they can be.  When I hear talk of medications and procedures and diagnoses, I just want to scream.

I wish I could just go into everyone's house, raid the processed, sugary, saturated and terrified food and just replace it.  For even a week!

Instead I tried not to lecture, ate lots of colours, enjoyed my abundant meal and accepted my family exactly the way they are.


No comments:

Post a Comment